It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:07 am

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Team: Eminence Front
Main: Myrtok
Level: 1620
Class: Speed Demon

Post Lighting
I know that the lighting in galaxies is a big part of C2 and a lot of work has gone into it. It is actually really cool to have the color from the different suns reflect off of objects like my ship. In my opinion though, it's just slightly too much of a good thing. For example, in my little wingship II half of the ship is always in darkness (the half that doesn't face the sun of course). The half that I can see usually blends in with the clouds and nebulae in the background because it takes on the color of the sun. Of course, all of the other ships do the same thing. I end up squinting all of the time trying to figure out where everything is, which way it's facing, etc.

It may just be that I'm old and get eyestrain too easily. If other people have the same problem though, maybe we can consider adding a little bit of white background light or something to make things a bit more visible?

On a related note: Laser beams and glowing projectiles should be much brighter and retain their colors better. A red laser in a galaxy with a blue sun shouldn't look purple and splotchy. It should look bright red and intense. As an example, a red light shined under our yellow sun in broad daylight doesn't look orange. It looks red. It doesn't get washed out by the sun. The laser beams and glowing projectiles should be their own light source, possibly even reflecting their own colors off of nearby ships.

HAL wrote:
You are greedy and ignorant, you can't have everything in life for free.

Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:44 am

Team: Psionic Corps
Main: The Crazy Game Maste
Level: 1031
Class: Engineer

Location: TARDIS, Time Vortex, Main Universe, Reality, Big Bang 2, Multiverse 1
Post Re: Lighting
Dorin Nube wrote:
I know that the lighting in galaxies is a big part of C2 and a lot of work has gone into it. It is actually really cool to have the color from the different suns reflect off of objects like my ship. In my opinion though, it's just slightly too much of a good thing. For example, in my little wingship II half of the ship is always in darkness (the half that doesn't face the sun of course). The half that I can see usually blends in with the clouds and nebulae in the background because it takes on the color of the sun. Of course, all of the other ships do the same thing. I end up squinting all of the time trying to figure out where everything is, which way it's facing, etc.

It may just be that I'm old and get eyestrain too easily. If other people have the same problem though, maybe we can consider adding a little bit of white background light or something to make things a bit more visible?

On a related note: Laser beams and glowing projectiles should be much brighter and retain their colors better. A red laser in a galaxy with a blue sun shouldn't look purple and splotchy. It should look bright red and intense. As an example, a red light shined under our yellow sun in broad daylight doesn't look orange. It looks red. It doesn't get washed out by the sun. The laser beams and glowing projectiles should be their own light source, possibly even reflecting their own colors off of nearby ships.

I don't have the lighting problem and can see all my ships just fine. But the weapon light? Dude, /signed.

JeffL wrote:
Maybe you guys are right. We can leave things how they are for now and get more feedback later.

Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:35 am
Profile E-mail

Team: Dark Traders
Main: enkelin
Level: 3002

I agree with the OP to some extent. I think it's a combination of having less ambient light your own ship and also having more effects going off in the background, but I've definitely had to pay more attention to avoid running into hostile AI. It's also more difficult for me to tell at a glance what ships I'm looking at, which contributes to the problem.

(Bluenoser) Put your finger in your mouth and gag reflex should do the rest

Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:27 am
Site Admin / Dev Team

Team: Admins
Main: Jeff_L
Level: 1028
Class: Sniper

As far as lighting goes, it's a balance between realistic harsh light, which really would have half your ship bright, and the other half totally black, and slightly easier to see lighting that has an ambient component to it. We're used to seeing things with strong a ambient component to the lighting, because on earth, the sunlight scatters in the atmosphere, but in space, lighting is very harsh.

We do currently use a small amount of ambient light, and I personally like the harsh look that we currently have. I have been working on adding glow maps to more and more ships, and you'll notice that those that have glow maps looks really nice, and are much easier to see in a variety of situations. For example, the Zebucart's cockpit glows, and I just added a few red lights to the Wingship, etc.

I've just made a thread here viewtopic.php?f=94&t=47526 that explains glowmaps and how to make them and add them if you are interested in helping with that.

As for the weapons, they are not being lit by the sun as far as I know, but in some situations they might be behind a big corona billboard that could color them. Weapon shots do light things up with their own color. If you get in a Zebucart and shoot a pulse gun, you will notice that the nose of your ship gets red as the bullet leaves, and if you fire while over a planet, the planet does get some red from the shot.

Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:46 am
Profile WWW

Team: Strawberry Pancakes
Main: shawn - mccall
Level: 2411
Class: Fleet Commander

Actually pretty much all ships in C2 look awful, no offense. SS is not based in reality and if you intend to garner new players you need to make them like how it looks, they're not going to go read an essay on lighting in space and think "oh, wow I like SS now.". So how about an option so we can control the amount of ambient light because as is I would hate to play SS for prolonged periods with how hard things are to see.

andezrhode wrote:
goett wrote:
All oly ships look way to geometrically conservative for my tastes.

thats because most graphic designers are squares :mrgreen:

goett wrote:
Fired bullets taste like candy.

Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:14 am
Profile E-mail

I suppose a good example would be WoW. In wow I can run as deep into any cave as it goes and never run out of light. The developers and everyone else on this planet is fully aware a cave gets pretty damn dark the deeper you go, WoW however realized this was unattractive to prospective customers and did away with it.

Same goes for SS, you're not selling this game to physicists, your target consumer doesn't spend all their time researching the dynamics of light in space, and as a business you should cater to that. Give them eye candy, not something to read up on at wikipedia when they could playing the game.

andezrhode wrote:
goett wrote:

goett wrote:

Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:45 am
Profile E-mail
Dev Team

Team: None
Main: Quetzalcoatl
Level: 0
Class: None

All the ships look awful doesn't help anyone. If you can be specific as to what you do not like about ships corrective action can be taken.

Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:18 am
Profile E-mail

Main: playerboy345
Level: 2035
Class: Berserker

Feathers wrote:
All the ships look awful doesn't help anyone. If you can be specific as to what you do not like about ships corrective action can be taken.

for example the hotrod, it's way to flat and the cannon it gets when you go in combat mode just ruins it even more.

The Voomy One wrote:
Quote:
Runescape, Allows you to change your name every 30 days.

Runescape sucks so it doesnt count :P

Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:25 am
Profile E-mail

shawn_mccall wrote:
I suppose a good example would be WoW. In wow I can run as deep into any cave as it goes and never run out of light. The developers and everyone else on this planet is fully aware a cave gets pretty damn dark the deeper you go, WoW however realized this was unattractive to prospective customers and did away with it.

This is what I am getting at. I agree, it's kind of cool that lighting is situation-dependent now. However, we are complaining that the level of ambient light is just too low. How much more specific can you get?

Maybe it's easier on higher graphics settings (not available to me on this computer at this time), but it takes me significantly longer to identify ships visually. For example, I often mistake the Zebus in Blue Outpost for SBA Scouts at first glance.

So far, the most this has cost me is a bit of extra concentration when I'm flying around in my Zebu+. However, I could see this adversely affecting my gameplay in the future when I'm just trying to keep spawn neutralized or the squad healed in Olympus. There are enough challenges in this game already without at the very least doubling the effort it takes to visually identify what you're looking at. Moreover, something as mundane as that isn't exactly what I look for in a game.

Sorry, but I don't feel it's appropriate for this concern to be dismissed in a single sentence: "I personally like the harsh look that we currently have."

Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:14 am

Feathers wrote:

It's not the models I have problems with. Those all look great to me. What does the game in is that I have to squint and move the camera around for 30 seconds in different ways to identify ships no matter where the graphics level is set. I thought I made that explicitly clear as we are in a thread discussing lighting. :P

Fact is, I don't really care if this is default just give me an option to make the lighting go to a point where I can see what I'm doing, because as is the game is almost unplayable without a sun sitting 700 distance from you. All I can do is wade around in the dark using floaties and faint graphical lines on ships. Not exactly a selling point.

andezrhode wrote:
goett wrote:

goett wrote:

Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:08 pm
Profile E-mail

playerboy345 wrote:
Feathers wrote:

for example the hotrod, it's way to flat and the cannon it gets when you go in combat mode just ruins it even more.

Actually I'm a big fan of pretty much all the models. However, the lack of light and inability to see them kind of makes the quality of them aa moot point, since, you know... I can't see them....

andezrhode wrote:
goett wrote:

goett wrote:

Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:15 pm
Profile E-mail
Site Admin / Dev Team

Team: Admins
Main: Jeff_L
Level: 1028
Class: Sniper

Maybe we should make a new "Headlights" item that you can put on your ship!

Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:35 pm
Profile WWW

To be fair, I think part of the problem is that the radar screen and map are not really polished yet. Those issues and the low level of ambient lighting all give me the uncomfortable feeling of flying blind. I'm sure it will be somewhat better once those two problems are addressed. I still can't help but feel that the ambient light is just a bit too low for comfort.

Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:25 pm

JeffL wrote:
Maybe we should make a new "Headlights" item that you can put on your ship!

I thought of something similar earlier just never got aaround to suggesting it. What it was was flood lights on all ships. Make it so that if there is not adequate in a ship's immediate area it automatically lights itself up with particles that are similar in appearance to flood lights. They would be highly effective for the job and would be simple to explain to people questioning their presence.

andezrhode wrote:
goett wrote:

goett wrote:

Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:54 pm
Profile E-mail

Team: Eminence Front
Main: Myrtok
Level: 1620

JeffL wrote:
As far as lighting goes, it's a balance between realistic harsh light, which really would have half your ship bright, and the other half totally black, and slightly easier to see lighting that has an ambient component to it. We're used to seeing things with strong a ambient component to the lighting, because on earth, the sunlight scatters in the atmosphere, but in space, lighting is very harsh.

We do currently use a small amount of ambient light, and I personally like the harsh look that we currently have. I have been working on adding glow maps to more and more ships, and you'll notice that those that have glow maps looks really nice, and are much easier to see in a variety of situations. For example, the Zebucart's cockpit glows, and I just added a few red lights to the Wingship, etc.

I understand it's a matter of preference, and really, it looks beautiful the way it is. Unfortunately, it's just really hard to play. I know you've been playing the game; I saw you doing Nexus missions in your Zebu on the first day of the release. I just wonder how far you've progressed since you've obviously been working your tail off fixing crash bugs and stuff (or watching Jey fix them :D ). Anyhow, try flying a little wingship with your client zoomed all the way out so that you can see the full range of your mag cannon II or III in a galaxy with a red sun. You can't tell which way your ship is facing at all unless you're firing. I can't anyway.

JeffL wrote:
As for the weapons, they are not being lit by the sun as far as I know, but in some situations they might be behind a big corona billboard that could color them. Weapon shots do light things up with their own color. If you get in a Zebucart and shoot a pulse gun, you will notice that the nose of your ship gets red as the bullet leaves, and if you fire while over a planet, the planet does get some red from the shot.

They have to be getting lit by the sun. Yellow Mag Cannon bullets are hard to distinguish from red Mag Cannon II bullets. You can't always tell the difference between laser types by their colors because the glow around the laser beams always ends up splotchy and blended with the galaxy's color.

I am absolutely the LAST person who would ever criticize your artwork, as I'm artistically challenged. All I know is that C2 looks beautiful to me, but some of the things that make it look so good also make it less functional.

HAL wrote:
You are greedy and ignorant, you can't have everything in life for free.

Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:01 pm
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next