It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 4:32 am

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 

Team: None
Main: Sero
Level: 1371
Class: Speed Demon

Post Increase use of KB
So i play other games than star sonata, and one of those games has problems with the amount of RAM is requires, i noticed that when SS2 is launcher it takes up approx 990,000 kb or, about 1gig, but when played for an hour or 2, it goes up to 1,400,000kb in the other game im assuming because game files and data just kept building up, after the usage was above a certain level a lot of people would crash, im assuming because there RAM couldnt take it any longer, was wondering if there was anyway to fix this before, this may be a reason why some people crash, is there anyway to fix this?

iWin

Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:53 pm
Profile E-mail

Main: =P
Level: 1042
Class: Shield Monkey

Post Re: Increase use of KB
reboot! :mrgreen:

Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:01 pm
Profile E-mail

yea that does the trick... but is there no way to make it so you dont have too...

iWin

Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:03 pm
Profile E-mail

Team: Strawberry Pancakes
Main: Dark Phantom
Level: 2387
Class: Berserker

Mcing will now be a problem :(

Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:53 am

zhuang281 wrote:
Mcing will now be a problem :(

omg i never even thot about that, unless your running like 6gigs of ram you may have a problem mcing.

iWin

Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:40 am
Profile E-mail
Dev Team

Team: Eminence Front
Main: Jey123456
Level: 3267
Class: Fleet Commander

if you set your graphics to medium. the memory usage will be much lower.

for hardcode mcers, you could also reduce the quality of your textures by making a custom skin folder and scaling down all the big textures (textures represent the bulk of the memory usage).

high graphic preload most of the texture on start, to avoid the lags caused by loading the textures for the first time.

We plan on preloading the most commons textures for medium and low, but for now, they just get loaded as you need them, so the memory should be much lower at least, until you saw everything.

Once loaded in memory, the textures are in uncompressed format, if it really became an issue, we could implement some texture compression algorithm i guess, but for now, if you want to mc more clients than you have gb of ram, well, you can scale down all your textures (make a customskin folder and set it in your userconfig.xml so that patchbot wont remove all your work XD).

you could easily reduce the memory usage at high+ graphics down to 300-400mb instead of 800mb just by scaling all the textures to about half size, although it would have a visual impact on the graphic quality.

Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:11 am

Team: Zephyr
Main: Zaehlas
Level: 1777
Class: Engineer

I don't get into that deep of coding, however, if it's mainly textures that are causing this, could they be loaded into a separate application or library method, so that if you had two or three clients running, they would all access the same "area"? I'm sure with how child stuff spawns, naming it so all the clients don't crash is prolly a bitch. Just a thought.

Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:39 am

isnt there a way to make it so that a certain limit, the memory starts to overwrite previously used memory? (i travel from sol to deep warp 4, whatever was in sol gets erased from my RAM, and must be reloaded upon entering again)

iWin

Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:01 am
Profile E-mail
Dev Team

using a shared memory pool, while a great concept, would be incredibly buggy/hard to implement XD.

I didnt forget you people tho. Unfortunatly hardware texture compression is not supported in the current irrlicht version. Its supposed to be here with the new version tho, which i am eagerly waiting for :P.

In the meantime, i coded a rudimentary texture compression that was dubbed as "low quality textures", it essentially scale down big textures so that they take less memory space, it make planets look fugly especially if you zoom on them. but with that, low graphic quality require about 250mb memory instead of 1gb. and very high require about 500.

Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:41 am

play in low res and your ship disappears, well my pax does. I have to play in very high res to see the lights on my ship, (paximinus).

Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:08 am
Profile E-mail
Dev Team

that would be a completly unrelated bug (what im talking about here is not even available to you yet :P)

Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:20 am
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ]