It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:23 am

Team: None
Main: Fragmaster2
Level: 379
Class: Fleet Commander

Post [Interface/Graphic] The Doctor's Bumper Suggestion Bonanza
I always figure such things are easier for the dear Devs to read when they're neatly organised into one place; I know it's much easier when I'm modding anyway. Besides my own suggestions I'll try and organise some good submissions that have been made as replies to bug posts and might be missed, since the suggestions sub-board itself has little but there are so many swimming around hidden in bug reports.

Disclaimer: All GUI and Graphical suggestions that I make are based on my observations using the highest graphical settings in SS2 at 1280x1024 resolution.

I would add anchors and links for easy navigation, but the forums don't seem to support them in posts.

Gameplay Suggestions

• We now have lovely mission objective guides, whether they are over ships, planets, bases or wormholes to lead us to our objectives. However, could we please have an interface in the missions panel to turn on/off the indicators for individual missions? The main issue is that since one usually will have numerous missions running, there are mission hints everywhere. When one has 2 exploration missions running, the waypoints are constantly trying to take one in different directions, not to mention when one has 5-10 missions of varying types running at once (some exploration, some trader, some EF etc.), when it becomes a nightmare. If one could tick-box or activate/de-activate mission markers for specific missions in the missions console, it would make this feature worthwhile instead of just a vast array of icons that are literally everywhere. If one ever has a mission that involves collecting commodities, for example, it highlights every single starbase that vends them (even if they don't have any in stock), so a mission for 20 space oats or 600 silicon or whatever highlights every single standard starbase in the game.(Submission by The Doctor)

GUI Suggestions

• Remove the confirmation for throwing items overboard, or make it an option in gameplay or interface to be able to have the confirmation check on or off, if some players would feel safer with one on. As it stands, to throw out useless commods or loot that one scoops from enemies, in DGs or from anything, really, one has to click through the confirmation screen for each item. Apart from the fact one may be trying to throw something heavy out in the middle of battle when the massive overlay question comes up, it's generally obstrusive and annoying to have to click every time one throws something out. To clarify and refresh memory, the 'Are you sure' screen not only brings up a window in the middle of the screen, but also fades out the main game area. (Submission by The Doctor)

• Return the trade tab format to the original (c1) style or, since we trust in your wisdom, something far more accessible than the current setup. Scrolling back and forth to get to categories at polar ends of the trade bay is a royal pain in the derrière. (Submission by Bastamental)

• Add a search function to the trade interface in bases, so that players can search all or individual categories for an item, and include the capacity to use wildcards. Apart from being a useful item for finding what you want quickly, it'd also be useful in special AI bases and playerbases for checking if the base sells a particular item without having to scroll around. The wildcard capacity would also allow one to check multiple techs; exempli gratia Liberty Shield Capacitor * would return all the different Lib Caps that the playerbase was vending in the search results.(Submission by Feathers and The Doctor)

• Please return to a more schematic galaxy map style. Whilst the new full screen overlay and different size/hiding options are brilliant, the new map is somewhat less than functionally useful; besides the clicking issues with systems all scrunched together, the map doesn't follow your destination regardless of the status of the auto-centre toggle button (on my client, anyway); it is impossible to read quickly to see how many bases, player bases and DGs there are and whilst it appears to be 3d, it also seems to lack AA so the galaxy bobbles are jagged. It'd be nice to have the galaxy that one is in highlighted in some way also, in addition to the name at the bottom of the screen. Something similar to c1 would be nicer; graphical updates and extra functionality are great and we appreciate them, but in its current state the Galaxy Map is less functional than the c1 version.(Submission by The Doctor)

• Would it at all be possible to cache docked ships automatically when docking? In the present form it works much like c1, and though I may have many ships docked in a base, I can't transfer anything to unless I specifically go to the 'Ships' tab and allow them to be loaded into the list. I write this as a suggestion and not a bug since the same thing happens in c1, so it probably isn't an error, but I was wondering if the list loading can be done automatically when docking instead of having to click the 'ships' tab to activate it.(Submission by The Doctor)

• Could the target menu (X key menu) be made a toggle? Certainly the new system is far better than the laggy and overriding box of c1, but because it's a hold-your-x-key-or-you'll-miss-it affair, it can be rather painful to manoeuvre whilst using it or quickly access it, since if you don't get the mouse over the box at the right time or if you accidentally shift it away (perhaps to use an important tweak to keep you alive, whatever) you lose it all over again. The new little box is lovely and has a message about the server instead of the lag-wait in c1 for the window to appear, but I think it'd be more functional if one can toggle the target options box on or off just like the radar, ship details, et cetera. That way one can always have a little box of options that automatically updates whatever one has selected, and it can be hidden if you're not using it. I feel it's important for it to be quickly accessible for things like marking and commands that sometimes need to be done quickly without a fiddle whilst performing other actions simultaneously. (Submission by The Doctor)

Graphical Suggestions

• Can we have some sort of temporary transparency, indicator box or whatever you think is best so we can see our ships when we're docking/undocking. Presently, one goes to a base and disappears 'inside' it, not only making it hard to judge where one has stopped (and if one is going at the right speed to dock), but making undocking an annoying affair since it requires one to thrust out to find out which direction one's ship is pointing in; less than ideal especially if under attack or carrying a heavy load. Perhaps some sort of simple transparency when inside a base or shaded overlay of one's ship would be simplest so we can see where we are! (Submission by The Doctor and so many numerous requests that I can't list everybody I've seen talk about this.)

• Lasers all look very similar; the particles that surround them may need reducing or adapting. Bar changes in colour, all the lasers/beam based weapons I've used so far (Light, Medium lasers, surgical lasers, Zobitan beam, mining lasers) look virtually identical, because of the flickery particles of fluffy bright light that are generated along the beam. These particles are pretty, but seem to obscure any difference in the beams graphically, and they all look pretty similar like bright white light with them around. I've not studied SS2 graphics so I can't recommend specifically what's going on, but I think it might be something to do with too many particles or too much alpha on them?(Submission by The Doctor.)

I'll add more as either I think of them or I see other people make them in places other than the suggestions board.

Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:01 pm