Dev Team

Team: Eminence Front
Main: Jey123456
Level: 3267
Class: Fleet Commander

Post Beta version 196 (5/27/2012)
* More precision in the profiler (/dp)
* removed the "use how many items?" dialog
* new radar with a zoom in/out, red ring representing your weapon range, and green ring representing your detection range.
* Repair code update (the prices in the beta client are not representative of how much it will cost you to repair right now), the cost itself is server side and will require a server patch for it. But you can at least know how much it will cost you once that patch goes in.
* Some visual tweaks to lasers (both straight laser, and lightning), so that they animate a bit better.
* reduced the default maximum lagkiller from 15 to 9 (10+ usually didnt give much more and caused more issues than improvement).
* added more power to the lagkiller to reduce the lag experienced by those who sent me profiler dumps (/dp)
** 4 new /lkc values
*** LKGPU_LIGHT (reduce the number of rendered lights, when ratio>=1. disable the lights alltogether)
*** LKGPU_LAGCLIP (control how far from your ship non important effects will be displayed (flags, nametag, thruster image etc will be removed from rendering if they are too far), having the camera zoomed out also reduce the distance on screen, will always ignore your target.
*** LKGPU_BILLBOARD (control the clipping for some billboard effects (many weapons projectile, engines etc rely on those) //need to adjust the values in code was based on reduce before
*** LKGPU_PARTICLES (control how many particles are rendered. The higher this value, the less particles will be on screen. higher than 1.1 will disable all particles (not recommended))
* multiple crash fixes

* added some missing textures and xml for the last beta (the durability widget along other things)
* fixed a lagkiller bug causing some objects (debris along other), to not appear until targeted when lagkiller was high enough on some machines.
* fixed a few client crashes.
* optimized the particles rendering code so that heavy fights shouldn't be so taxing anymore even without (or with very low) lagkiller.
* optimized our rendering code to avoid as my statechanges as possible (will only make a difference if at all on very old hardware).
* some more lasers changes (still a work in progress, it was not ready when i did that beta, but well, its here anyway !).
* fixed the healing beam to be a yingyang again.
* some radar tweak (this is also still a work in progress, and require an updated server to show the weapon range).
* added a ""DrawCrossHair" to the radar xml to disable the crosshair in the middle

version 955 -- ill do the full notes in a few hours --
* fixed a bunch of graphical glitch
* new shader code
* some post processor fixes
* some more laser tweaks
* repair all button added in the general tab of ai bases.

A special thank to all those who sent in some performance profiler dumps (as explained in viewtopic.php?f=116&t=51358) and crash dmps.

Please send more using that beta client to help improving the lag even more.

To download the beta installer, see viewtopic.php?f=116&t=51108

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun May 27, 2012 4:04 pm
Dev Team

Post Re: Beta version 718 (5/27/2012)
Most of those performance optimizations and lag killer tweaks were done using profile from people with extreme lags in situation like oly runs. Many of the tweaks require lagkiller to work, lagkiller has been greatly improved mainly in the area of self induced lags etc. So people who disabled it should be ok to reenable it.

Many of the performance tweaks require the lagkiller to work since i couldnt just reduce the quality all around when its fine for most scenarios.

In most cases, the lag killer at 6 should give you about twice your regular fps, and even more in scenes where there is a lot of actions (as in more than twice your regular fps in said scene).

Sun May 27, 2012 4:13 pm

Team: Traders
Main: Murasame
Level: 2561
Class: Berserker

You should at least put a link where to download the client since I had to search for it in the other posts...

Sun May 27, 2012 4:15 pm
Profile E-mail
Dev Team

you do have a good point, and here it is.

Sun May 27, 2012 4:21 pm

Shield transference looks like a laser, not the ying yang one.

Radar isnt resizable.

EDIT: Cant repair with parts.

Last edited by Bacchus on Sun May 27, 2012 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun May 27, 2012 4:25 pm
Profile E-mail

Main: Angel from Hell
Level: 2353
Class: Shield Monkey

yeah my radar isn't even centered right atm =( the cross hair showing my position is low in the bottom right corner so i can only see stuff to my top left

Sun May 27, 2012 4:28 pm

Main: Angel from Hell
Level: 2353
Class: Shield Monkey

also just noticed, it's doing weird things with the mission texts about available, in progress etc.

Sun May 27, 2012 4:32 pm
Dev Team

the repair is "normal" (you should be able to double click the widget to do a full repair with parts), the parts system is being completely removed next patch.

Thank you for reporting the transference one, it will be looked at and fixed.

For the radar not being centered, you might have an outdated xml if you happened to download the patch right away (i had forgot an xml when i set the server to update), do the check for update option in your ss2 beta start menu (or run the patchbot), it should fix it.

The radar resizing is still being discussed as to how to implement it, The radar is not in its final stage, it was just considered implemented enough to begin testing.

Sun May 27, 2012 4:33 pm

Jey123456 wrote:
the repair is "normal" (you should be able to double click the widget to do a full repair with parts), the parts system is being completely removed next patch.

Thank you for reporting the transference one, it will be looked at and fixed.

For the radar not being centered, you might have an outdated xml if you happened to download the patch right away (i had forgot an xml when i set the server to update), do the check for update option in your ss2 beta start menu (or run the patchbot), it should fix it.

The radar resizing is still being discussed as to how to implement it, The radar is not in its final stage, it was just considered implemented enough to begin testing.

Could I get a bit more information on the parts part?

I was ingame and if I double click itll uneqip, no? Right click only offers credits and you can do it undocked for 2x the cost.

Sun May 27, 2012 4:35 pm
Profile E-mail
Dev Team

i meant double click on the widget in the top bar (next to the speed indicator there is one with your durability %)

double click is a repair all and will use your parts right now.

The changes are essentially fixing the cost of dieing to use a real cost based formula now, removing the scrap parts and allowing repairing midflight using credits if you havent attacked/beenattacked for 1 minute and for twice the price.

Sun May 27, 2012 4:38 pm
Dev Team

it will say that it cost money, but currently the server will use the parts. The price is only a display and wont match what youll actually pay right now (next to nothing currently)

Sun May 27, 2012 4:38 pm

How do the parts even work, are they the equivalent of what the description says?

Seems low for 10k or so per part, also the high tier oly gear costs a bunch...

Sun May 27, 2012 4:41 pm
Profile E-mail
Dev Team

the parts are worth whats written in their description yea. the reason its low right now is because even high tier gear only end up costing a few k's credits to repair.

The parts are going to be completly removed next server patch only credits will be required.

There are parts in the 10mil/100m/1bil range, but they never dropped since no gear currently could reach it with the currently live repair cost (the item would need to be costing in the tril for a 100mil part to drop XD).

Sun May 27, 2012 4:43 pm

Main: ERMAN
Level: 3306
Class: Speed Demon

if those prices are accurate of what we will be paying, that will be prohibitive for many people, especially those on smaller teams, to ever use oly gear.

-ERMAN

Sun May 27, 2012 4:46 pm
Profile WWW

Team: The Unforeseen Colonies
Main: Predator Lord
Level: 1814

i agree costs right now are way too cheap to repair but in C1 GG20 was only 100m and a death with those costs will excede that very quickly

VaporiZe!

Sun May 27, 2012 5:12 pm
Profile E-mail