It is currently Sun Sep 29, 2024 10:36 am

Team: Resident Evil
Main: Lord Runningclam
Level: 3813
Class: Engineer

Post Terraforming (For the sadists in us all)
Make terraforming projects that decrease a planet's suitability.

Why? Because sometimes you want to kill a whole bunch of colonists because you can.

More realistically - it could have interesting war-time aspects in terms of raze-and-burn strategies - if you know you can't hold their territory for long, you can sabotage the planets before the other team can take them back.

Also - it can have defensive purposes - you can move into your border gals and sabotage them to make them less appealing to your neighbors, forcing them to invest more in wars.

Personally, sometimes my colonies just piss me off and I want to kill them for it.

Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:39 pm

Team: Dark Traders
Main: Qlimax
Level: 1753
Class: Seer

Post Re: Terraforming (For the sadists in us all)
Scorched earth Policy aye.i like.

Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:48 pm
Profile E-mail

Main: enkelin
Level: 3002
Class: Speed Demon

Deep(er) core mining projects decrease suitability.

(Bluenoser) Put your finger in your mouth and gag reflex should do the rest

Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:59 pm

true - but what I'm thinking could extend perhaps beyond suitability - maybe some of these anti-terraforming projects can turn loads of metals into lots of metals, erradicate a commod from a planet altogether...

Also - these would have a higher % effect because their goal would be to render a planet undesirable as a whole - whereas the negative effect of deep core mining is meant to offset the benefit.

I like to think of it as "if I can't have it, then you can't have it" projects

Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:05 pm

Main: Max235
Level: 1821

Nice idea. Just not enough border conflicts/wars to actually matter.

Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:27 pm

Team: Eminence Front
Main: Radia
Level: 1101
Class: Speed Demon

Lord Runningclam wrote:
true - but what I'm thinking could extend perhaps beyond suitability - maybe some of these anti-terraforming projects can turn loads of metals into lots of metals, erradicate a commod from a planet altogether...
Idk, getting babs off of 100% planets sounds like a pretty good one to me, unless the colo still acted like it has babs.

No Context. Ever.
Idaten.

Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:55 pm
Profile WWW

Team: The Forgotten Colonies
Main: PM Me If You Suck
Level: 1996
Class: Gunner

Why not make it that as well as being able to destroy the commod, being able to remove the commod and put it somewhere else. (excludes t2 and t3 commds)

Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:44 pm

Visorak wrote:
Lord Runningclam wrote:
Idk, getting babs off of 100% planets sounds like a pretty good one to me, unless the colo still acted like it has babs.

Should be the point. When you enact Scorched Earth Policy, if anything remains, you don't want it to be useful. Or at the very least be a major pain in the rear to make useful again.

But the point also stands, theres not nearly enough wars in SS, let alone specific over about gaining valuable territory. Most of the time, when a war happens, it happens because of someone being an egotistic twat, like Sharky. Or it happens when someone doesn't like someone else for whatever reason, also like Sharky.

But rarely is it over actual territory. Of my 7 years of playing, I have only come across five wars/conflicts that truly had to do with territory. I have, on the other hand, been in or come across around 30 total wars.

Those five were:

1. Zephyr vs Hiigarans.
Higaran Leader's galaxy was one of the few galaxies that had 3-4 exe base slots. That time, they didn't have an eniac omega, so in order to prevent a massive war where all would have been capped, they sold their galaxies for a paltry 10b.

2. Quantum Reach vs Axis Incorporated.
Minor border conflict at start of universe. Numbers were about the same, but QR would have had to fight a war against a very determined enemy in their home galaxies. QR backed off. I still have that Targeting Computer OL, Blue Dwarf!

3. Zephyr vs Zero Gravity.
Ada planet. Enough said.

4. Pitch Black vs Resident Evil.
PB got jammed between Pants and RE. They decided to attack RE to gain space until SBP mowed them down twice.

5. Progress vs Psionic Corps.
Theres a whole damn topic on it....

Those are it. Theres a few that seem to revolve around territory, but it's actually someone did something someone else didn't like.

Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:24 pm

It's true - there's not much in the form of wars in the last few years - but I would also argue that in all honesty, that's not really a reason to not develop war mechanics. Even though it may not initially do much, I would say that we want the developers looking forward to improving all the major aspects of the game with the hopes that perhaps the game will achieve notable expansion. Hypothetically, if we do get a substantial increase in subscriptions through advertisement, etc, wars would be a) more likely and b) more interesting to fight.

Also, this mechanic can help encourage wars - one problem a smaller team has in trying to fight a war is the knowledge that even if they have a well planned assault against a larger team that will succeed in the short run, the war will ultimately fail with minimal long term impact on the larger team. Typically, they will lack the resources to fortify and defend any territory taken. This is a way of creating the potential for actually inflicting damage in a short-term campaign.

Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:09 am

Team: None
Main: thebattler36
Level: 1791
Class: Shield Monkey

Wars will only happen if there's something to gain from them and if the effort put in doesn't exceed what you get out.

Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:10 pm
Profile E-mail

thebattler35 wrote:
Wars will only happen if there's something to gain from them and if the effort put in doesn't exceed what you get out.

And with the vast expanse of Wild Space, teams can just pack up and leave if someone wants their galaxy and they have no way to truly defend it.

Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:26 pm