It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:12 pm

Team: Dark Traders
Main: Aredes
Level: 2142
Class: Shield Monkey

Post Fundamental flaw in ships.xml system?
The current system is great as it allows players to modify each ship TYPE easily and quickly. It's downfall however is that not all ship TYPES are the same size.

For example:
Attachment:
a.jpg

So once you all get over the amazement of my artistic skills, I'll explain;
The outer red circle is the rough size of the ship shown. it's engine mount is based on that. That's great, it works, however!

This ship index is for ALL SIZES OF THE SHIP. Meaning that a smaller ship (Prefect, who is roughly the yellow circle in size) would have his engine mounts further out than expected. I found him and confirmed this but for some reason I decided not taking a screenshot was the herpaderp smart thing to do.

The easy solution to this problem is to give EACH ship it's own individual index number. At most this'll just make us have to rematch the indexes we've found so far.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:33 pm
Profile E-mail
Site Admin / Dev Team

Team: Admins
Main: Jeff_L
Level: 1028
Class: Sniper

Post Re: Fundamental flaw in ships.xml system?
The offsets are all scaled by the overall size of the ship, so this shouldn't be a problem.

Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:49 pm
Profile WWW

Main: Aredes
Level: 2142
Class: Shield Monkey

Then we should know which ship the scale was started around.

If we set it so that the smaller ship is right, will it scale it up? or scale it down thinking it was the larger ship that should have been right? Or all they all relative so that doesn't matter?

All I know is right now it's not matching up, correct one and the other breaks :(

Edit: Oh, there's also a constable model in this case! But the same issue was noticed for pax ships! And that definitely only has one model!

Edit2: After correcting the pax engine mount positions I guess you were right haha. It just over-exaggerated the displacement on the larger models since it wasn't matched up to begin with!

Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:09 pm
Profile E-mail

Main: Kyp
Level: 2610
Class: Engineer

it doesnt matter which one you're looking at when you alter the XML, the degree to which it is affected will be proportional to the scale. i had wondered about this and looked at multiple examples of this sort of thing and was mostly satisfied with how it turned out for the pax line.

Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:53 pm