It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:40 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 141 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Team: Matrix
Main: Asmodeaan
Level: 282
Class: Berserker

Post Re: Issues with torpedoes
revert it.

Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:13 am

Team: Strawberry Pancakes
Main: shawn - mccall
Level: 2411
Class: Fleet Commander

Lol, do you not know how this works yet? The admins implement it under the pretense of "We'll just see how you all like it." then unless 20 or so people threaten to quit, whether or not the change was dumb(like in this instance, where it even came with a graphical bug), it will not be reverted. You are simply not raging enough to make a difference. I would like it to be reverted as well, but it's not something I would quit over so I will just admit defeat on this one.

andezrhode wrote:
goett wrote:
All oly ships look way to geometrically conservative for my tastes.

thats because most graphic designers are squares :mrgreen:

goett wrote:
Fired bullets taste like candy.

Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:22 am
Profile E-mail

Team: Dark Traders
Main: enkelin
Level: 3002
Class: Speed Demon

I'm not raging. Just waiting for an admin response since this the thread where we are supposed to provide feedback.

(Bluenoser) Put your finger in your mouth and gag reflex should do the rest

Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:27 am

Team: Strawberry Pancakes
Main: playerboy345
Level: 2035

Asmodeaan wrote:
revert it.

The Voomy One wrote:
Quote:
Runescape, Allows you to change your name every 30 days.

Runescape sucks so it doesnt count :P

Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:16 pm
Profile E-mail

Team: Eminence Front
Main: Radia
Level: 1101

This "bug" has been around for a long time. So long that changing it now is a case of "If it isn't broken, don't fix it." The changed code causes more problems than the old code.

No Context. Ever.
Idaten.

Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:48 am
Profile WWW

Team: The Legion
Main: Omen
Level: 1555
Class: Seer

Visorak wrote:
This "bug" has been around for a long time. So long that changing it now is a case of "If it isn't broken, don't fix it." The changed code causes more problems than the old code.

I miss you too.

Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:23 am
Profile E-mail YIM WWW

Visorak wrote:

Not to mention that while torpedos weren't working the way they were originally intended, the mechanic fit in well with the rest of the game. There was no reason to make the change, and now it's penalizing the wrong classes. Why should close-fighting SD be penalized and long range Sniper become harder to hit? I'm not arguing for a Sniper beef but surely this is backwards if anything.

Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:36 am

Main: Spatzz
Level: 2402
Class: Engineer

It was not a direct nerf or beef to any class so painting it as one is just silly. The by-products of this entirely groundless change to the game has effected classes but we should stay focused on the fact that the change in and of itself was ill thought out, uneeded and indeed harmful so should be reverted.

Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:32 pm
Profile E-mail

When a change comes in and I can no longer kill Zebras, Platties, and Battlestations with accustomed ease, that would be what you call a nerf.

But never mind that, the point is that the change has had only negative effects on the game and ought to be reverted.

Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:21 pm

Quote:
But never mind that, the point is that the change has had only negative effects on the game and ought to be reverted.

Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:12 am
Profile E-mail
Site Admin / Dev Team

Team: Admins
Main: Jeff_L
Level: 1028
Class: Sniper

Just to give a response so you know I'm reading the thread and not ignoring it... I don't have a really strong opinion on this either way, though I do think the "fixed" way is a lot more interesting and looks better than the previous broken way. I think faster torpedoes flying in a straight line make for better game play than slower, super-tracking torpedoes that you have nearly no chance to dodge. I also like how the new tracking code kind of makes torpedoes better for fighting large slower targets. We should leave magcannons and lasers as the weapons of choice vs small fast targets.

Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:40 pm
Profile WWW

JeffL wrote:
Just to give a response so you know I'm reading the thread and not ignoring it... I don't have a really strong opinion on this either way, though I do think the "fixed" way is a lot more interesting and looks better than the previous broken way. I think faster torpedoes flying in a straight line make for better game play than slower, super-tracking torpedoes that you have nearly no chance to dodge. I also like how the new tracking code kind of makes torpedoes better for fighting large slower targets. We should leave magcannons and lasers as the weapons of choice vs small fast targets.

Thanks for checking in. I agree that long-range super-tracking torpedoes aren't really fair. However, it's just not true that the new code makes torpedoes worse against small fast targets. It is really really difficult to dodge them at close to medium range. It already took some skill to fly in such as way that you could still damage your target while dodging their torpedoes, but now it's just a nightmare. Before, you could at least get in close and run circles so that the torpedoes lagged behind you, but now they head straight for your ship every time.

How about torpedos are given three stages instead of two: keep the original straight-line stage, give them a decent tracking stage, and then let them burn out in a straight line as they do now. I know it seems overly complicated, but as much as the infinitely tracking torpedoes were bad, the instant-tracking ones are no better. There's got to be a way to make this change without seriously messing with short- or long-range styles of play.

Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:03 pm
over 9000!

Team: Pax Romana
Main: Ghost Commander
Level: 1138

Aww. I liked killing nooby panthers with my Dynamic/Evil Torp.

Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:37 pm

The 3 stage idea would make torpedoe weapons incredibly difficult to use. A reversion would be best.

Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:44 pm
Profile E-mail

Chaosking3 wrote:
The 3 stage idea would make torpedoe weapons incredibly difficult to use. A reversion would be best.

Thought you would approve, to be honest. It would make them behave like the did before the change for all but rather long range targets, and track slightly better than they do now against long range targets. The only thing that would be different is you would no longer have extremely long range torps (BFDs and Snipers, mainly) that have crazy tracking for a crazy long time, essentially able to chase down any target but a Speed Demon.

It also sounds like Jeff sufficiently against the above situation (and I tend to agree) that it's pointless to keep asking for a complete reversion. I feel that if torps don't have that behavior and also don't instantly track like they currently do, everyone can be happy with them.

Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:24 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 141 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next