It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:21 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 142 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
Site Admin / Dev Team

Team: Admins
Main: Jeff_L
Level: 1028
Class: Sniper

Post Official proposal on a change in the PvP system
I want to proffer the following as an official proposal on a change in the way PvP works in Star Sonata.

I'll preface this with saying that over the years, we've learned that simpler is better in terms of PvP, because no matter what system we use, people will exploit it as much as possible in whatever way possible. So simplicity is key.

Second, we have to have PvP because we have limited real estate, and players must be allowed to fight over it. We want to have PvP, because PvP is interesting and can lead to a compelling game. Also, I believe that a game that encourages and involves PvP is more scalable than a purely PvE game.

The problems with our current PvP system are that, in practice, we tend to get a lot of asymmetric PvP. We get one person attacking another person who doesn't want to PvP. That person just wants to be left alone to do his thing. This is what I call "bad PvP" or borderline griefing. It can be OK in certain games where this is expected, but in SS, players tend to spend most of their time doing other things, and getting ganked tends to be a rare and unpleasant experience. The other problem is that because of the way stasis works, once someone has killed you, they can camp your ship forever, or just simply follow you around, preventing you from playing the game at all.

So onto the proposal:

1) Split the game between PvP, non-PvP (PvE), and hybrid layers. Keeping our current universe layers, they would work like this:

Nexus: not-buildable, no PvP allowed
Celestial Garden: buildable, not ownable, PvP allowed (number of gals increased)
Earthforce Layer: not-buildable, no PvP allowed (number of gals and max DF increased)
Wild Space: buildable, ownable, PvP allowed (number of gals increased)
Perilous Space, not-buildable, PvP allowed

The reasoning behind this is that players who just want to do PvE content and "be left alone" can go to Earthforce Layer and be free from PvP. Earthforce layer would go all the way up to DF 300, so there would still be some high-end DG's.

If a PvE oriented player wants to do the highest end-game content in Perilous Space, he will have to risk PvP, but he'll also know that going in, and will have a choice to stay in EF layer if he doesn't have a group or doesn't feel like dealing with PvP at the time.

Players who venture into the buildable layers of Celestial Garden and Wild Space will have to do so knowing they are risking PvP. But that makes sense, since they are going there to build or make colonies, and are probably on a team, so they can get help from their team if they run into problems.

Since players will have the choice to stay in PvE space, we will eliminate all rules about griefing, and there will be pretty much an "anything goes" attitude towards PvP by the admin team (exploiting of bugs excluded, obviously.) The idea is that since there is a split between PvP and PvE space, you enter PvP space at your own risk.

2) When you or your slave gets killed in PvP, your ship or your slave gets instantly and automatically towed to the nearest towing station, potentially for free. All towing stations will be located in non-PvP space, and we will increase the amount of them. This is to eliminate "corpse camping", and anyone who goes back into PvP space after getting killed does so at their own risk. It's on them if they get killed repeatedly. Possibly we would also add an option for your spirit to teleport to the nearest towing station as well, and possibly we could make a team HQ act as a towing station for team members.

I believe that with this framework in place, where PvP is essentially an optional part of the game (though a huge part), we would feel more comfortable going forward with things such as an enhanced glory system, PvP rewards, special battlezones that spawn good stuff periodically for players to fight over, etc. And I also think that this system would mostly eliminate asymmetrical PvP but leave in place a framework for a more consensual style of PvP -- especially in Perilous Space. It just has to be known going in there, that the place is perilous, and other players are more perilous than AI's.

The other possible change to the PvP system we were talking about was something based on PvP flags or temporary protection after you get killed or something based on relative glory ranks, but honestly, I think all of this still allows for way too many exploits and asymmetrical PvP, and the simpler system I outlined above is far superior.

With a (hopefully) huge influx of new players coming in the near future, this is something I really think we need to get sorted out now rather than later.

TL;DR: 1) universe split up by layer into PvP and PvE zones, and 2) when you get killed by PvP, your stasised ship gets teleported to a towing station in PvE space for free.

Edit:

Quote:
I guess if we made the towing optional, that would be less of a departure from the current system, so maybe better that way. Someone suggested in chat that the towing shouldn't be when you get killed, but when you attempt to get back into your ship a dialog pops up with whether or not you want a tow. The advantage of this is that you don't have to leave a "yes/no" dialog open while you decide if you want to tow. You can watch the battle play out and direct your slaves, and then when you've decided, you can hop in and tow or not. The other thing I was thinking along these lines was with slaves, we can have two options for them when they get back into yellow stasis, which would be "leave stasis" and "leave stasis and tow".

I'm not sure if we want to offer the choice to tow to a player not killed in PvP. I suppose for consistency we should, but maybe if you weren't killed in PvP, you should have to pay money, but that's kind of exploitable if you just get your friend to PK you for a free tow.

Also, if you've taken some damage from a player and some from an AI, that would still count as dying in PvP.

I agree that the idea that people can escape to safe space is a troubling one. What would people think if anyone who PvP's is not allowed into non-PvP space or instances for 5 minutes (or some other duration)? Yes, in the long run, you could ninja someone today and hide in PvE space tomorrow, but if people are after you, that's still a huge portion of the game that will be quite treacherous or unpassable to KOS people.

Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:45 pm
Profile WWW

Team: Heaven
Main: Lemon
Level: 2187
Class: Engineer

Post Re: Official proposal on a change in the PvP system
Is the teleporting going to be a choice?

Teh Meo :)

Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:49 pm

Team: Zephyr
Main: RobC
Level: 2570
Class: Berserker

Let there be an option to be teleported instantly? Someone may want to stay and fight once they regen up and not want to travel all the way back again. Especially if there is a big fight on it would be a bit annoying for your ship to be teleported potentially up to 20 jumps away.

Unless there is frequent galaxys with towing stations in etc

Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:51 pm

Team: Strawberry Pancakes
Main: brandonTC..
Level: 2610

Exploit #1. i will wait in protected space, because there is only one warp into each layer, i can choose my weak tergets leaving the protected layers.

Exploit #2. if i dont feel like flying to my HQ i can suicide to get to it?

Notes. Will being killed by AI effect the instant towing?

will we have a toggleable option to be instant towed (i would very much like this)

and if you die in PvP will you still drop GG if you dont Crazy Glue? (and items if no GG) if you are auto towed? (i'd prefer this to keep it fair)

what happenes if i have drones out and die and get auto towed? (this is why i'd like the toggle option)

Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:56 pm
Profile E-mail
Site Admin / Dev Team

I have mixed feelings on the optional tow idea.

On the one hand, people would clearly prefer it because it gives them a choice, but on the other hand, the forced tow will protect people from themselves (e.g. stubbornly getting in their ship over and over again to be killed repeatedly, or thinking their attacker has gone, when he's just sitting there cloaked), and it could also make PvP encounters more dynamic, as you temporarily remove people from the battlefield, you can in theory "win", or else you have people flying back from the towing station to reinforce.

Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:57 pm
Profile WWW

Team: Dark Traders
Main: enkelin
Level: 3002
Class: Speed Demon

If teleporting is not optional, there absolutely must be options to teleport further into Perilous space. It would be an enormous waste of time to be killed otherwise, even worse than now. I really don't see the problem with making every AI base a towing station.

(Bluenoser) Put your finger in your mouth and gag reflex should do the rest

Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:00 pm
Site Admin / Dev Team

brandontc wrote:
Exploit #1. i will wait in protected space, because there is only one warp into each layer, i can choose my weak tergets leaving the protected layers.

We have added the stairs back for next uni.

brandontc wrote:
Exploit #2. if i dont feel like flying to my HQ i can suicide to get to it?

It will cost you a GG, and I don't really have a problem with that. We're talking about building HQ teleporters anyway.

brandontc wrote:
Notes. Will being killed by AI effect the instant towing?

No, instant towing is only if you or your combat slave is killed by a player.

brandontc wrote:
will we have a toggleable option to be instant towed (i would very much like this)

Still under debate. Under the official proposal, no, but a lot of people are asking for this.

brandontc wrote:
and if you die in PvP will you still drop GG if you dont Crazy Glue? (and items if no GG) if you are auto towed? (i'd prefer this to keep it fair)

Yes.

brandontc wrote:
what happenes if i have drones out and die and get auto towed? (this is why i'd like the toggle option)

Your ship gets towed, but not your escape pod/spirit. In C2, you will be able to direct the fire of your drones and slaves using the RTS interface, or you can go back to the towing station and fly back to the galaxy to rescue your drones. I don't see this as too different from the current situation where your drones are left out to dry for 5 minutes while you're in stasis.

Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:03 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin / Dev Team

anilv wrote:
If teleporting is not optional, there absolutely must be options to teleport further into Perilous space. It would be an enormous waste of time to be killed otherwise, even worse than now. I really don't see the problem with making every AI base a towing station.

I would want to restrict towing station to be either in PvE space or be your HQ, so that when you're towed, you are safe from PvP. I have absolutely no problem with adding more juxes to Perilous, as long as we can beef the AI in there a bit.

Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:04 pm
Profile WWW

Team: Traders
Main: ERMAN
Level: 3306

Sounds good. address the problem with drones that are laid. having them teleport back to the towing station is one way, but that would be unfair to a pirate who would want to kill them. maybe half the laid drones teleport back over the station the ship is transferred to and half stay to either keep fighting or to die.

-ERMAN

Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:06 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin / Dev Team

We could make a new "Drone Recaller" item that sits on your ship and automatically scoops any deployed drones within a certain range upon stasis of the ship. I bet Engineers would like that one for PvE as well.

Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:14 pm
Profile WWW

If towing is instant it would increase the time wasted by pirates even more...

Pod anyone who isn't an SD in perilous and they now have a 10-20 minute flight back out for no reason....

Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:16 pm

Main: brandonTC..
Level: 2610

JeffL wrote:
We could make a new "Drone Recaller" item that sits on your ship and automatically scoops any deployed drones within a certain range upon stasis of the ship. I bet Engineers would like that one for PvE as well.

you have no idea. engineers would LOVE that (me beeing one of them)

also, did you know that when a Engineer dies and still has drones out, his drones loose bonuses Drasticly? as in then they are a piece of cake to pick off (or watch die)

Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:20 pm
Profile E-mail

More then anything as a DM, I hate my drones becoming worthless after I get podded.

Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:23 pm

Team: Dark Traders
Main: enkelin
Level: 3002

If someone goes into Perilous with combat slaves, a pirate could kill that player and simply detain the slaves with a tractor, continuing to kill the player whenever he tried to come back to reclaim his slaves. With no way to regain his firepower, the player is kept from doing any PvE content (even out of the PvP zone) until the pirate gives up his game. Griefing accomplished.

I think that teleporting should be optional, with an added charge (up to maybe 100mil) with some of that going to the killer. I'm thinking of the system in Diablo II where you could either try to reclaim your corpse at the spot where it died, or log off and accept a loss in gold and XP.

As others have said, even with more staircase galaxies and juxtas in Perilous space, the time it takes to get back to what you were doing will likely exceed 5 minutes for slower classes.

(Bluenoser) Put your finger in your mouth and gag reflex should do the rest

Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:28 pm

Main: kiko
Level: 2787
Class: Shield Monkey

JeffL wrote:
Your ship gets towed, but not your escape pod/spirit.

Rofl, seriously?

Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:47 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 142 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next