It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:29 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 142 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Site Admin / Dev Team

Team: Admins
Main: Jeff_L
Level: 1028
Class: Sniper

Post Re: Official proposal on a change in the PvP system
In short, we want to replace GG with item damage that has to be repaired at AI bases. Basically the same as in other games. Reason is because getting killed when you've run out of GG can generate catastrophic losses for the player, which is not fun and causes people to quit.

Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:13 pm
Profile WWW

So what are you gonna do to promote pvp?

Ideas on the table
1. Killers get tow fee, enough to cover damage repairs + profit
2. Token System where kills are exchanged for items with an infamy requirement/ or half life
3. Randomly assigned bounty (similar to a kill mission) that expires within 12-24 hour period and can then take a new bounty, when you return to the pirate base you are given a reward
4. Leaderboard system with stat bonus for top players (I would have it reset every month or uni)

Last edited by Neba on Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:17 pm
Profile E-mail

Team: Death Mental
Main: ashta the 2nd
Level: 2942
Class: Berserker

JeffL wrote:
In short, we want to replace GG with item damage that has to be repaired at AI bases. Basically the same as in other games. Reason is because getting killed when you've run out of GG can generate catastrophic losses for the player, which is not fun and causes people to quit.

In all honesty Jeff anyone who is stupid enough to let themselves run out of GG or go afk and let ppl chain pod them (which yes i know ppl cant do now) shouldnt even be allowed out of their house without a helmet on, let alone on the internet.

Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:32 pm
Site Admin / Dev Team

Team: Admins
Main: Jeff_L
Level: 1028
Class: Sniper

The main thing I want to do to promote PvP is to re-do the glory system and give rewards based on glory.

Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:48 pm
Profile WWW

Team: Dark Traders
Main: enkelin
Level: 3002
Class: Speed Demon

I still think it will be hard to work into the system any way of putting a bounty on someone else. If there are bounties generated automatically through PvP encounters, that's a different matter and shouldn't be treated the same way as manual bounties.

(Bluenoser) Put your finger in your mouth and gag reflex should do the rest

Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:29 pm

Team: Eminence Front
Main: Myrtok
Level: 1620
Class: Speed Demon

This idea viewtopic.php?f=3&t=45747&st=0&sk=t&sd=a has been fleshed out a bit by players since the last time you responded to it, Jeff. I think it's a great way to achieve your aims while giving the players more fun instead of more restrictions (always a popular move!)

Here's the tl;dr:
-When you kill any person or object that requires you to turn off your safety lock, you get a "kill" on your record.
-Kills dissapear from your record at a rate of 2 every 48 hours.
-You get an automatic bounty on your head from a formula that is based on your current number of kills and your level.
-The bounty rises exponentially with the number of kills, so 1 or 2 is a very low bounty, and 5 or 6 is a high bounty.
-When someone kills you, they collect your bounty directly from YOU.
-If you don't have enough creds on you, you owe them, and any cash you receive goes directly to their account instantly.
-Getting killed erases your bounty, but not your number of kills, so if you kill another person, your bounty goes right back to being higher than ever (not much point having a friend kill you. If you're pirating, eventually your victims will kill you and get the big bounty).
-To turn off your safety lock you need a safety lock key equipped. It's cheap, small, and available at every AI base, but it can't equip while you owe a bounty that you haven't paid.

Please read the entire linked thread before you point out some of the obvious holes in this tl:dr version. The suggestions thread also has some great incentives to make everyone want to be a pirate at certain points in their carreer so that the playerbase won't hate pirates so much.

HAL wrote:
You are greedy and ignorant, you can't have everything in life for free.

Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:59 pm

Team: None
Main: Hober Mallow
Level: 1203
Class: Shield Monkey

So I have to pay to pirate? Wtf...

Why not just implement a corpse system. Spirits would make sense then. When you die you drop a corpse and receive negative stats, the higher level you are the more your corpse is worth. Corpses can be turned in for cash or used for items/ships/gear to make your life as a pirate more exciting.

The negative stats would cost you maybe 1.25-1.5x the amount your corpse is worth in credits.

So if your level 2k, and you die, it could cost you 3bil (very high example) to get your stats back to normal, and the person killing you would get 2bil (again, very high example) from killing you. The stats wouldn't be too dramatic, maybe a 5-10% (another high example) reduction in all of your stats.

Until you buy another "body" you don't drop a corpse upon death. This makes it so repeatedly killing someone is not profitable.

Also, JeffL, instead of totally getting rid of items dropping; why not implement your idea for everything but Perilous Space? Let Perilous Space be an "Anything Goes" Area, and make sure players are warned before they enter. This has the effect of requiring you to be in a group to do GROUP content, unless you want to be demolished by pirates.

Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:00 pm
Profile E-mail YIM

Thats way to much every death man..
we're trying to lower the cost of dying not up it

Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:06 pm
Profile E-mail

Team: None
Main: Hober Mallow
Level: 1203
Class: Shield Monkey

MasterTrader wrote:
So I have to pay to pirate? Wtf...

Why not just implement a corpse system. Spirits would make sense then. When you die you drop a corpse and receive negative stats, the higher level you are the more your corpse is worth. Corpses can be turned in for cash or used for items/ships/gear to make your life as a pirate more exciting.

The negative stats would cost you maybe 1.25-1.5x the amount your corpse is worth in credits.

So if your level 2k, and you die, it could cost you 3bil (very high example) to get your stats back to normal, and the person killing you would get 2bil (again, very high example) from killing you. The stats wouldn't be too dramatic, maybe a 5-10% (another high example) reduction in all of your stats.

Until you buy another "body" you don't drop a corpse upon death. This makes it so repeatedly killing someone is not profitable.

Also, JeffL, instead of totally getting rid of items dropping; why not implement your idea for everything but Perilous Space? Let Perilous Space be an "Anything Goes" Area, and make sure players are warned before they enter. This has the effect of requiring you to be in a group to do GROUP content, unless you want to be demolished by pirates.

In actuality I was thinking maybe around 100k Credits per level. So a level 2k would be worth 200mil, and would have to pay 300mil to regain his stats.

Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:07 pm
Profile E-mail YIM

Team: Strawberry Pancakes
Main: shawn - mccall
Level: 2411
Class: Fleet Commander

JeffL wrote:
The main thing I want to do to promote PvP is to re-do the glory system and give rewards based on glory.

I would like what WoW has where Glory isn't lost during PvP only gained, and used as a currency to purchase gear. Which is just about the only way to promote PvP in a game like SS, and would also help promote piracy as they could use it as a means to further their characters.

andezrhode wrote:
goett wrote:
All oly ships look way to geometrically conservative for my tastes.

thats because most graphic designers are squares :mrgreen:

goett wrote:
Fired bullets taste like candy.

Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:59 am
Profile E-mail

Team: Death Mental
Main: ashta the 2nd
Level: 2942

Too easy to lose glory once you get past level 1200 on this game. Being high level is a disadvantage in pvp which is utter bullshit. I have i think 38 glory on my lvl 2700 main yet my KDR is probably over 10...

Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:06 pm

Main: yugioh
Level: 1854

The main problem I see with the item repair system is that it sets a hard maximum number to your deaths. Right now, if you fail a run or die in a BvB siege, you can get back in and try again as many times as you have GG for. Some people, like Jey, have regen-based setups that recover from death very quickly. This will render strategies such as that, as well as any extended galaxy siege, very difficult unless the number of deaths before gear breaks completely is very high.

Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:25 pm

Team: Dark Traders
Main: .Blue
Level: 2649

Could always keep gear glue in the game, it will protect against item damage and be a bit more expensive then now. That way you can pay a bit more for the ability to keep fighting...

Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:59 pm
Profile E-mail

Main: yugioh
Level: 1854

Bluejayek wrote:
Could always keep gear glue in the game, it will protect against item damage and be a bit more expensive then now. That way you can pay a bit more for the ability to keep fighting...

I like this idea.

Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:43 pm

Team: Strawberry Pancakes
Main: playerboy345
Level: 2035

yugioh124 wrote:
Bluejayek wrote:

I like this idea.

The Voomy One wrote:
Quote:
Runescape, Allows you to change your name every 30 days.

Runescape sucks so it doesnt count :P

Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:45 pm
Profile E-mail
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 142 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next