It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:36 am

Team: The Originals
Main: Lol imra15
Level: 641
Class: Berserker

Post Dividing by zero
Simple really
If you have 10 apples, and you don't cut them up to divide to anyone, you have 10 apples.
If you look at it as someone who was going to get the apples, you would get -10 apples because the person supposed to give them out is not giving any.
Anyone smarter than me could possibly explain it even further.

Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:55 am
Profile E-mail

Team: UnderDawgs
Main: DitkA
Level: 2548
Class: Shield Monkey

Post Re: Dividing by zero
Ha! And I thought I was the only one out there who understood that math is simply just an opinion of events and that it can deviate. It is nothing more than a planned out series of events, but the planner is the determining factor. Thus if the planner is the key to affecting the events, then the events are only limited by the planners ability to execute them. Thus if the planner is a supreme being then 2 = 3. Or you can just pretend that the rules don't apply or use some crafty math function to make 2 = 3. In the end, your imagination and ability to make it reality is what is limiting you.

Dream a little dream.

/end_silly_rant

Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:09 am
Profile E-mail

Team: Eminence Front
Main: DemonBlood
Level: 1761
Class: Shield Monkey

actually no, 2 =/= 3 ever. mathematics is inextricably tied to the physical world and space itself. if any "supreme being" was able to make 2 = 3, the universe would experience a "server crash"

and to divide 10 apples by zero, you'd be splitting them indefinetly, past the limits of how many atoms in the apples, and past the lower limits for energy "packets/quanta"

doing so would actually create an entirely new universe, because it would be the only alternative to "error - cannot divide by zero"

Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:26 am
Profile E-mail

Objection!
To cut the apple into infinite pieces the size of the apple pieces would have to be a number like 0.000000000000000000000000000001. That means you are actually dividing the apples to something. But in reality you are not sharing the apples at all which means the number simply would be 0.

Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:35 am
Profile E-mail

Team: Resident Evil
Main: Johnston V2
Level: 2324
Class: Fleet Commander

Here's the solution:

Take the number 4, for instance. It comes just prior to 5 when counting integers. As a result, you can see that this number exists. Now if we multiply this 4 by that very 5, we arrive at a value of 20. This value can be further extended by simply adding 1, leaving us with the famous 21. Coincidence? I think not!

Now if we take the arrived value of 21 and multiply it by the square root of the original value, 4, then we have 42.

Now as I've explained, 21 is a relatively famous number that can easily be derived from the number 4 and 5 in a variety of methods. However, we can clearly see that when multiplied by the square root of the initial value of 4, we arrive at 42. But the importance of 42 is most clearly seen when we define it as the answer to life, the universe, and everything. Yet it is obvious this is not the answer you seek. The answer you seek is the simple stated fact that not a single fuck was given today.

Last edited by cej1120con
on January 1st, 1337, 6:66 am, edited over 9000 times in total.

Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:10 am
Profile E-mail

True.
Nice signature by the way.

Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:12 am
Profile E-mail

*waits for enkelin to unleash the math*

Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:46 am
Profile E-mail

Team: The Unforeseen Colonies
Main: Predator Lord
Level: 1814

cej1120con wrote:
Here's the solution:

Take the number 4, for instance. It comes just prior to 5 when counting integers. As a result, you can see that this number exists. Now if we multiply this 4 by that very 5, we arrive at a value of 20. This value can be further extended by simply adding 1, leaving us with the famous 21. Coincidence? I think not!

Now if we take the arrived value of 21 and multiply it by the square root of the original value, 4, then we have 42.

Now as I've explained, 21 is a relatively famous number that can easily be derived from the number 4 and 5 in a variety of methods. However, we can clearly see that when multiplied by the square root of the initial value of 4, we arrive at 42. But the importance of 42 is most clearly seen when we define it as the answer to life, the universe, and everything. Yet it is obvious this is not the answer you seek. The answer you seek is the simple stated fact that not a single fuck was given today.

i really liked your ability to pull numbers out of your ass. is that how politicians do math?

VaporiZe!

Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:33 am
Profile E-mail

Main: __
Level: 2482

If you divide a number by infinity, you have an infinitely small number. But as a mathematician once proved, an infinitely small number is indistinguishable from zero. So if you divide a number by infinity, you erase it from the universe entirely.

landswimmer wrote:
ALL HAIL CYG THE MESSIAH!

Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:57 am
Profile E-mail

Team: Dark Traders
Main: enkelin
Level: 3002
Class: Speed Demon

Cygnus wrote:
If you divide a number by infinity, you have an infinitely small number. But as a mathematician once proved, an infinitely small number is indistinguishable from zero. So if you divide a number by infinity, you erase it from the universe entirely.

No... lol.

The only sensible way to divide a number N by infinity is to consider the limit

N / x

as x tends to infinity. Here, "limit" is used as a precise mathematical term and doesn't bear the standard English meaning.

Claim: N / x tends to zero as x tends to infinity.
Proof: Suppose you wish to get within epsilon of zero (epsilon some small positive number). Just set Y = N / epsilon and for all x > Y, we have N / x < N / Y = epsilon. That means we can get arbitrarily close to zero as x grows large (just pick smaller and smaller epsilon). This is (roughly speaking) the mathematical definition of a limit.

--

By the way, landswimmer, 2 ≡ 3 (modulo 1). If you are working over the set of numbers R / Z (remainders of real numbers when divided by an integer), it is perfectly correct to write 2 = 3 = 0 since both have remainder zero when divided by some integer. You may naturally object that R / Z is an artificial space to work with, to which I can only say that I was just working with it yesterday.

(Bluenoser) Put your finger in your mouth and gag reflex should do the rest

Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:38 am

Team: Aidelon
Main: the speed of dark
Level: 1874
Class: Engineer

a jedi master wrote:
You can't divide something into 0 pieces...

You can however take the limit as b approaches 0 of
1/b. which is infinity.

Because as b gets larger and larger, the value never stops increasing (never approaches a specific value) it increases forever.

This topic tends to be made by someone every once in a while

Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:50 am
Profile E-mail

Main: 1-800-USE_THE_FORCE!
Level: 2907

anilv wrote:
Cygnus wrote:

No... lol.

N / x

as x tends to infinity. Here, "limit" is used as a precise mathematical term and doesn't bear the standard English meaning.

Proof: Suppose you wish to get within epsilon of zero (epsilon some small positive number). Just set Y = N / epsilon and for all x > Y, we have N / x < N / Y = epsilon. That means we can get arbitrarily close to zero as x grows large (just pick smaller and smaller epsilon). This is (roughly speaking) the mathematical definition of a limit.

--

By the way, landswimmer, 2 ≡ 3 (modulo 1). If you are working over the set of numbers R / Z (remainders of real numbers when divided by an integer), it is perfectly correct to write 2 = 3 = 0 since both have remainder zero when divided by some integer. You may naturally object that R / Z is an artificial space to work with, to which I can only say that I was just working with it yesterday.

I use to think i was good at math before this...

Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:32 pm

anilv wrote:
Cygnus wrote:

No... lol.

N / x

--

Enkelin, blowing your fucking mind with maths one post at a time.

landswimmer wrote:
you know that even if you're wrong, they're more wrong. which makes you right.

Sat Jun 02, 2012 3:06 pm
Profile E-mail

Main: __
Level: 2482

anilv wrote:
Cygnus wrote:

No... lol.

N / x

--

I never said I was being sensible :roll:

0.000...infinity zeroes...1 = 0.

(any number)/infinity=(0.000...infinity zeroes...1)

Therefore, any number/infinity=0!

It even makes sense. Any number divided by zero equals infinity, so the reverse should also be true. There are an infinite number of zeroes in any number, and zero infinites in any number(that is not infinity itself, though we could get into the different types of infinity...but then my brain would hurt...)

landswimmer wrote:
ALL HAIL CYG THE MESSIAH!

Sat Jun 02, 2012 3:36 pm
Profile E-mail

redalert150 wrote:
I use to think i was good at math before this...

It's a thing of beauty when enk turns into his alter-ego Calcutron.

Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:15 pm
Profile E-mail