It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:31 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Team: Zephyr Plus
Main: ReturnOfZimidy
Level: 2630
Class: Shield Monkey

Post Re: Thinking of returning
C2 was never wanted in this way. Now I've played this game for nigh on 8 years (Original Zim here) and I was captivated by the SS universe. The style of the game was unique, the fluidity was there and best of all, the gameplay was very solid. I, like many others, fell in love with that original game. But, despite being an excellent game, there was never great publicity around it. I was personally waiting for the time when SS was caught in the publics eye and we will have masses of new players swarming the server. But that never happened.

Now back in 2007 we, the players,were promised C2. This was going to revolutionise the SS universe with upgrades everywhere. There was to be new zones, better graphics, updated UI, new skills and massive numbers of new players that would really kick start the player base from hundreds to thousands. It was an exciting time. The suggestions sub-forum was awash with great ideas that were all promised to "be in C2" (trademarked). Now C2 was meant to be done in 2007. That's where all the time and resources were being put anyway.

Fast forward many years to 2011 and the player base has been static for a long time. No new players joining, all content done by all players and all wars virtually negated by super-alliances between about 20 teams. But things were to change. C2 was to be released. The thing we were promised 5 years ago was finally to be released and reinvigorate the SS universe, upgrading everything along the way.

But what did we get? A shitty, half-arsed, buggy, sluggish game that has none of the charm of C1, none of the fluidity and none of the gameplay that we have grown to love. Players leaving left right and centre is no surprise to me. When all content is done, wars are squeezed out by dullards and the gameplay you loved is taken out, there's no reason to keep playing. The only chance SS has of growing and becoming great again is to ditch this C2 failure, go back to C1, add in new content and advertise it around the Internet - which for some reason has never happened over all these years. Do that and maybe SS will survive yet.

Tue May 29, 2012 9:00 pm

Team: The Originals
Main: Lol imra15
Level: 641
Class: Berserker

zimidy wrote:
C2 was never wanted in this way. Now I've played this game for nigh on 8 years (Original Zim here) and I was captivated by the SS universe. The style of the game was unique, the fluidity was there and best of all, the gameplay was very solid. I, like many others, fell in love with that original game. But, despite being an excellent game, there was never great publicity around it. I was personally waiting for the time when SS was caught in the publics eye and we will have masses of new players swarming the server. But that never happened.

Now back in 2007 we, the players,were promised C2. This was going to revolutionise the SS universe with upgrades everywhere. There was to be new zones, better graphics, updated UI, new skills and massive numbers of new players that would really kick start the player base from hundreds to thousands. It was an exciting time. The suggestions sub-forum was awash with great ideas that were all promised to "be in C2" (trademarked). Now C2 was meant to be done in 2007. That's where all the time and resources were being put anyway.

Fast forward many years to 2011 and the player base has been static for a long time. No new players joining, all content done by all players and all wars virtually negated by super-alliances between about 20 teams. But things were to change. C2 was to be released. The thing we were promised 5 years ago was finally to be released and reinvigorate the SS universe, upgrading everything along the way.

But what did we get? A shitty, half-arsed, buggy, sluggish game that has none of the charm of C1, none of the fluidity and none of the gameplay that we have grown to love. Players leaving left right and centre is no surprise to me. When all content is done, wars are squeezed out by dullards and the gameplay you loved is taken out, there's no reason to keep playing. The only chance SS has of growing and becoming great again is to ditch this C2 failure, go back to C1, add in new content and advertise it around the Internet - which for some reason has never happened over all these years. Do that and maybe SS will survive yet.

Star sonata history in a nutshell.

Tue May 29, 2012 9:19 pm
Profile E-mail

Team: The Unforeseen Colonies
Main: Predator Lord
Level: 1814

can there be a seperate section o the wiki called "history" with that ^?

VaporiZe!

Tue May 29, 2012 9:21 pm
Profile E-mail

Team: Dark Traders
Main: enkelin
Level: 3002
Class: Speed Demon

I think much more care should have been taken to make sure that C2 would run all right on older machines. Jey's not a graphics expert and has done a really great job with the lagkiller stuff, but it should never have come to a point where many (in my experience most) players are stuck with a game that is barely playable in Olympus and even lesser zones.

(Bluenoser) Put your finger in your mouth and gag reflex should do the rest

Tue May 29, 2012 11:05 pm
Dev Team

Team: Eminence Front
Main: Jey123456
Level: 3267
Class: Fleet Commander

part of the problem, is how old some of these machines are. People expect game in 2012 to work on computers that shouldnt even exist anymore (modern computers have a life expectency of 5 years until hardware failure, generally much less). SS work fine on medium end computer from 2007-2008, it "work" at much reduced graphic on low end from those year and even older. On today's computer, so long as you dont have an intel graphic card, it will run fine even at high (i have multiple laptops and desktops worth less than 300-400$ that run it at 45-60fps during heavy load scenario at high.

Offcourse higher graphics are aimed at today's computers, but as it is right now, except for extremely low end graphic cards (*cough* intel graphic cards *cough*) medium and low graphic have pretty much the same performance, except medium look dozens of times better.

As far as gameplay is concerned, SS gameplay didnt change much between C1 and C2 so im not sure what your refering to on that side.

"Fixing" C1 is not an option, fixing C1 is essentially rewriting it, rewriting it would mean many many new bugs (just like C2), performance hug (just like C2). Most of the slowdowns currently experienced are not really due to the 3d graphic, but due to rendering and logic bottlenecks, but guess what, rendering in 2d or rendering in 3d is very similar. In both cases you need to do multiple passes, handle transparency, particles and all sort of stuff.

Offcourse the old C1 was stable and relatively efficient on old machine in the end. It has years of testing/development under its belt, but the more time passed, the more new hardware came by, and the less stable it was getting. Nothing could be done about it short of rewriting just about all of it.

Wed May 30, 2012 12:17 am

Team: AUSTRALIA
Main: Bastamental
Level: 1836
Class: Seer

Star Sonata. Exploiting everything OP untill they nerf it and beef something else to be OP

Jiraque wrote:
It's a seer thing.

Paxx wrote:
Use that yellow thingy on that zerk!

Wed May 30, 2012 12:33 am

Jey is such a boss. Love that guy

Wed May 30, 2012 1:30 am
Profile E-mail

More active and stable customer support, more focus on long-term content plans, better quality insurance so that content that comes out don't stay unplayable for an extent of time, and for gods sake... is Jeff even alive?

Wed May 30, 2012 1:48 am
Profile E-mail

Team: Bella Morte
Main: Lilith
Level: 840
Class: Speed Demon

why sure u can take m place in the lifestream. i warn you though.. people are gona fuck with you and piss you off for well... next to no reason... Enjoy And Goodluck ^,^

Wed May 30, 2012 1:54 am
Profile E-mail

Fallen- wrote:
why sure u can take m place in the lifestream. i warn you though.. people are gona fuck with you and piss you off for well... next to no reason... Enjoy And Goodluck ^,^

Fallen- wrote:
next to no reason

Fallen- wrote:
no reason

i'm sure pb will have something to say about this

Wed May 30, 2012 5:35 am
Profile E-mail

Team: Strawberry Pancakes
Main: playerboy345
Level: 2035

Madridista wrote:
Fallen- wrote:

Fallen- wrote:
next to no reason

Fallen- wrote:
no reason

i'm sure pb will have something to say about this

The Voomy One wrote:
Quote:
Runescape, Allows you to change your name every 30 days.

Runescape sucks so it doesnt count :P

Wed May 30, 2012 2:30 pm
Profile E-mail

Main: Qlimax
Level: 1753

zimidy wrote:

c2 sucks i just bare with it.

Wed May 30, 2012 4:26 pm
Profile E-mail

Team: Strawberry Pancakes
Main: playerboy345
Level: 2035

If it wasn't for our loving and caring community I would've quit already. C2 gameplay is just not as fun as C1 gameplay for some reason.

The Voomy One wrote:
Quote:
Runescape, Allows you to change your name every 30 days.

Runescape sucks so it doesnt count :P

Wed May 30, 2012 4:47 pm
Profile E-mail

Main: Qlimax
Level: 1753

playerboy345 wrote:
If it wasn't for our loving and caring community I would've quit already. C2 gameplay is just not as fun as C1 gameplay for some reason.

yeah if i didnt know the people in this game well i woulda been long gone.

Wed May 30, 2012 5:27 pm
Profile E-mail

Team: None
Main: Combustion
Level: 0
Class: None

zimidy wrote:

Thats exactly what I think of SS right now.

kanescreed wrote:
playerboy345 wrote:

yeah if i didnt know the people in this game well i woulda been long gone.

Agreed. I got rid of my hell box (also known as a Poseidon Wave) and am now sitting in a lonely little Unt Fwing waiting for some entertainment...

Dark Brotherhood wrote:
More active and stable customer support, more focus on long-term content plans, better quality insurance so that content that comes out don't stay unplayable for an extent of time, and for gods sake... is Jeff even alive?

Jeff gave the job of Support Manager to Voomy / Bageese because he can't be fucked to do most of the work himself, and he hires volunteers because he cbf to pay a real team. And lets be honest, when Jey gets bored and wants to move on (which will probably be sooner than you think), Star Sonata will be as good as dead.

Wed May 30, 2012 5:32 pm
Profile E-mail
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next