It is currently Sun Sep 29, 2024 4:25 am

Team: Resident Evil
Main: Lord Runningclam
Level: 3813
Class: Engineer

Post How to address Internet Privacy
So - there's lots of different threads attacking various different proposed measures against Internet Piracy and Copyright violations. I must admit, I agree with a good number of the critiques concerning those proposed measures (though there are some I disagree with too) and overall I would freely acknowledge that no functional plan has yet been introduced.

However, it seems to me that a more productive approach would be, rather than railing against a currently proposed idea, to produce and endorse a better idea -

So this thread is inviting discussion of how people believe the topic of Internet Piracy and Copyright violations should be addressed. In the process, consider the following questions:

To what extend do you believe artists, writers, musicians, etc should be able proffit off the product of their own work? Are their creations merely "information" that once put out into the world are the proprietary property of those who encounter it, or do they have a right to expect safegaurds to ensure that they are remunerated for their effort and vision?

Next, if it is not the government's role to protect the rights of their citizens to proffit off their own works, what system do you propose that would offer that protection?

Conversely, if you believe that the government should have the right to legislate controls, what types of controls and measures do you believe would NOT exceed their authority?

In regards to Freedom of Speech - many people argue that essentially speaking, it is part of the freedom of speech for them to share and express the works of others - is that really their speech? Or are they depriving someone else of their freedom of speech by saying it for them (thus depriving the original speaker of the choice of how, where, and when their speech is distributed)?

On the other side, what kind of regulations and restrictions would not infringe on freedom of speech? After all - and this is specifically to Americans - freedom of speech DOES have limitations already included in the amendment, barring such types of speech as insurrectionist speech.

Other thoughts are welcome as well, but I would like to see a constructive approach - can the collective mind of Star Sonata produce a cogent and cohesive plan to replace the ones they believe to be failures, or is all we can do criticize and rail against the ideas of others?

Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:43 pm