It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:54 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Team: Combustion
Main: Combustion
Level: 5116
Class: Berserker

Post Re: .
The HELL IS THAT!?

XxTommyxX, Daedalus, Combustion, Dr Eggman, Dr Combustica, Joew121, fghetfs

password wrote:
dang trevor....you take this game so serious :roll:

Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:40 am
Profile E-mail

Team: The Forgotten Colonies
Main: PM Me If You Suck
Level: 1996
Class: Gunner

Why no less than the BIGGEST violin in the world! :mrgreen:

Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:12 am

Main: Llessur
Level: 2808
Class: Engineer

In my view Admins should not get actively involved in team squabbles.

No matter how scrupulously honest they are some "person" will always accuse them of cheating.

It is just not worth the aggro and bad rep.

However one thing that admins (an developers) do potentially have is prior knowlwdge of new stuff. I get the impression that the uber base killer base was probably using stuff that that has been recently added to the game but had not yet filtered down to conventional wisdom.
SS is really bad like that.
The details of all new gear and functions should be documented in an easily acccessible place (eg the wiki, not the forums) by the person responsible for it eg the developer for gear.

Last edited by Russell on Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:20 am
Profile E-mail YIM

Team: The Unforeseen Colonies
Main: Thermal
Level: 3024

Not any time during either of the assaults I saw Bageese online, she actually missed both of the attacks, so I have no idea why you assume she was even involved in this. But I guess we just have to live with all you assumers that just assume stuff all day long.

Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:25 am

Team: Death Mental
Main: goett
Level: 2157
Class: Shield Monkey

Russell wrote:

No matter how scrupulously honest they are some "person" will always accuse them of cheating.

However one thing that admins (an developers) do potentially have is prior knowlwdge of new stuff. I get the impression that the uber base killer base was probably using stuff that that has been recently added to the game but had not yet filtered down to conventional wisdom.

This so far sums up my impression (from reports on the assault secondhand) and my general impression of how it was pulled off. I doubt a genuine 'exploit' was the cause. Jeff was in the gal for the assault so I assume he has a reserved opinion.

Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:46 am
Profile E-mail

Team: Strawberry Pancakes
Main: FracOMac
Level: 3361

Russell wrote:
SS is really bad like that.
The details of all new gear and functions should be documented in an easily acccessible place (eg the wiki, not the forums) by the person responsible for it eg the developer for gear.

For the record, the newest pieces of gear on there were from the armada gear set, which are obviously pretty common at this point (the defense kits we capped had some, so obviously no advantage here).

Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:47 am
Support/PR Administrator

Team: None
Main: Ananke
Level: 0
Class: None

I originally wasn't going to post in this topic but your post Russell actually got me thinking a bit.

Russell wrote:
I purposefully stepped down from a leadership role in SBP when I became the support/PR admin. It wasn't exceptionally needed as there is another admin who actually is the Director of a team and has run for Emperor in the past. However, I felt as though since I was going to be the head of moderation matters I had no business being an active decision maker on top 5 team. What Trevor said earlier in the topic is true.

Quote:
I knew this was going to happen as soon as I took the volunteer job. I am quite surprised it didn't happen sooner to be honest. I was fully aware of what I was getting myself into (except perhaps the overload of tickets) before I assumed Voomy's responsibilities.

Quote:
However one thing that admins (and developers) do potentially have is prior knowlwdge of new stuff.
Both Jey and myself do not take active roles in content development. I sit in on the meetings to put in any support/PR items and any feedback I've received from the community, but when they start getting technical and talking stats I zone out. I know there are many content developers who actively play but I have seen nothing to indicate they use their developer knowledge to their advantage. Be assured that we take the Non-Disclosure agreement that we sign exceptionally serious.

Quote:
I get the impression that the uber base killer base was probably using stuff that that has been recently added to the game but had not yet filtered down to conventional wisdom.
As far as I'm aware you are actually incorrect (on stuff that was recently added to the game). I'm not even 100% sure on what was on that base. As any of my teammates can tell you, I don't know the first thing about building effective offensive/defensive bases. That base, I believe, is the love child of Hooch. I logged on for only 5 minutes during those events when Frac told me people were in Anatolia. I was in class at the time and trying to play on my laptop. The lag was so bad I accidentally shot a BP teammate. Then I promptly logged and went back to being a good student since I was doing more harm than good.

I would also like to point out that every single Administrator action is logged. If I had given out any information/items you can be rest assured that I probably would have been banned from game in a heartbeat, and all of my administrator access would have been revoked. I care way too much about this community, the game, and my own integrity, morals, and values to do anything to give myself, my team, or anyone else an unfair advantage. I am just a volunteer for Star Sonata, and I do not get paid or given perks in game for the work I put in. I roughly put in a minimum of 3 hours a day on SS related stuff, even on the weekends, and some days I work on SS for most of the time that I am awake. I even pay my own subscriptions on my three accounts. I strive to keep the character & the support admin separate.

I hold no hate, or grudges against any member of this community. I know actions speak louder than words, and while you guys cannot see what I do behind the scenes I hope this at least clears a few things up. I am saddened that the community has come to doubt my integrity, but I hope that my post and my actions from this moment on will help build the trust I used to have with so many of you before assuming this role. As I have always said I am willing to talk to people and my inbox is always open for any questions or concerns you might have.

-Marty

Image Image

Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:48 am
Profile E-mail WWW

bageese wrote:
before I assumed Voomy's responsibilities. \

Did you assume all of Voomy's responsibilities?

I'll pick on one thing I can see about that, Voom handled name changes. I'll use flaming demon as an example - he changed one of his alts names, so he could participate with LC and go on oly runs a uni or two ago. This was when everyone was blabbing about how "anyone seen on a run with fd is kos etc etc". Of course Voomy didn't play, so it didn't matter.

But now we have a SBP member seeing who becomes who?

Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:44 am
Profile E-mail
Support/PR Administrator

Team: None
Main: Ananke
Level: 0
Class: None

Madridista wrote:
bageese wrote:
before I assumed Voomy's responsibilities. \

Did you assume all of Voomy's responsibilities?

I'll pick on one thing I can see about that, Voom handled name changes. I'll use flaming demon as an example - he changed one of his alts names, so he could participate with LC and go on oly runs a uni or two ago. This was when everyone was blabbing about how "anyone seen on a run with fd is kos etc etc". Of course Voomy didn't play, so it didn't matter.

But now we have a SBP member seeing who becomes who?

That information would always stay with me and Jeff alone and I would not use it to my advantage. I didn't even touch FD's name change and have no idea what the new name is now. I have received a few tickets asking for people's new names after they've been changed and I have refused all of them. I use nothing I learn from my administrator role to further my own advancement in the game. Honesty and integrity are two values I hold most dear.

Image Image

Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:57 am
Profile E-mail WWW

Team: Eminence Front
Main: Tech9
Level: 1923

I personally feel name changes shouldn't even be allowed for anything besides minor typos and the likes. They're disruptive to the community.

Can't even be bothered replying to the post's original topic.

Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:51 am

Team: Eminence Front
Main: Spatzz
Level: 2402

Aye, these topics get old.

From what I understand that kit was not even all that uber amazing, just good. If you run any basic math on resists and regen you should be able to easily discover set-ups that can be neigh on unkillable short of dumping them from numerous players.

As for the whole Devs/Admin should not be players, sure, soon as the majority of our Dev/Admin stop being volunteers. Why would someone want to work on a game if by doing so they are no longer allowed to play it? I think I respect Jeff's choices in applicants he chooses to accept into such roles and wish you guys would as well. Our Dev/Admin group is an awesome core of individuals who work to make a game we all enjoy better, there is no acceptable reason short of solid evidence for anyone to slander someone who puts that much effort into making your day fun.

There are aspects of this game I don't agree with, I will find those no matter where I go in life. Throwing a tantrum and casting about false accusations however is rarely ever going to fix anything. Instead turn your eyes and ears to our suggestions thread and support tickets.

Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:39 am
Profile E-mail

Team: The Unforeseen Colonies
Main: Thermal
Level: 3024

Spatzz is my hero, I will name my next alt after him.

Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:49 am

Main: Llessur
Level: 2808

Yep Trevor just informed me that they did not use any of the new (to me ) armada gear/augs, it was just a well built base :)

I am very sorry that I was sloppy enough in my post to allow the inferrance that any developers or admins passed on knowledge of gear about to be introduced to their team mates. I know that there is a strict rule about that.
The point that I was making was really that they know when stuff is added (as we all do) but the details of the stuff frequently does not appear on the wiki for some time.

Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:59 pm
Profile E-mail YIM

Team: Death Mental
Main: goett
Level: 2157
Class: Shield Monkey

Aye

Btw I don't think dm at all blames bageese. Everything I've heard has been positive.

Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:16 pm
Profile E-mail

The whole point is that regardless if an admin cheat or not they will always be accused to do so by frustrated people. This in turn create problems that could be avoided by not letting admins play the game in a way that competes with normal players. At the same time an admin needs to know most aspects of the game in order to make good decisions/suggestions on how to improve it. It's a dilemma that is not easily solved.

We also have to remember that star sonata has one of the worst histories on the internet when it comes to admin abuse and most players don't even know the worst cases. So whenever an admin is involved in the game people get suspicions due to past transgressions.

Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:57 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next