It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:06 pm

Dev Team

Team: Eminence Front
Main: Jey123456
Level: 3267
Class: Fleet Commander

Post To everyone still feeling client lag/jerkiness
Since I'm barely getting any profiler dumps anymore, it can only mean one of two things.

1. People don't know how to create a profiler dump so they obviously cant send any.
2. The client is now running with performances as high as everyone expect and as such, there is no points in sending a profiler dump

Somehow i don't think its number 2, so here are some instructions.

This only apply to client lag (fps/logicfps and not network "high averageServerDelay")
There are 2 types of lag you can help tracking/improving, low fps and spikes.

Make sure the lagkiller is enabled (the lvl 0-5 are especially important since they contain some less visible optimisations but can mean a lot of performance in some scenario).
If your lagkiller get too high (blinking red icon, type /lku 5 before beginning, to prevent the lagkiller to get in the way of the info gathering (anything lower than laglevel5 is perfectly normal and expected on lower ends machines).

For the low fps scenario
1. get in a situation where your fps is low, then in chat type "/cp" to initialize the profiler data gathering.
2. wait for about 1 minute during which your fps stay low (if you need to fire, fire etc, but do not change galaxy (jump))
3. type "/dp" in chat. a big text box will appear, copy paste the content (click in it, ctrl-a ctrl-c) and send it to dmpfile@starsonata.com either saved in a .txt or directly as the mail body.

For the spikes (jerkiness)
1. Try to find what cause your jerkiness to happen (seeing some specific object, firing, scooping, anything you can see that cause it to happen more often is good), if you cant find anything, its ok will just be harder to track down.
2. while you are experiencing the spikes type "/cp" in chat to initialize the profiler data gathering.
3. If you found something during #1, then do that operation as often as you can during 10-20seconds, if not just wait for 20seconds.
4. type "/dp" in chat. a big text box will appear, copy paste the content (click in it, ctrl-a ctrl-c) and send it to dmpfile@starsonata.com either saved in a .txt or directly as the mail body.

Make sure you add any details you can think off to the mail, even if you think its not significant, it would also be apreciated if you could attach a dxdiag.txt

http://forums.relicnews.com/showthread.php?67886-How-generate-a-DxDiag-text-(a-simple-tutorial) wrote:

1. From the desktop click: Start > Run (or windows key + r).
2. In the blank text field of the window that appears type “dxdiag” without the quotes. Press run or hit enter.
3. Another window should appear titled DirectX Diagnostic Tool. Near the bottom of the window click on “Save All Information…” A popup should appear with a progress bar, this may take a few minutes.
4. After it completes a dialog should appear asking you where to save the file, I would recommend saving it to your desktop (automatically selected) with the default name and file type.

Edit: I forgot to say, but if you do feel lags/jerkiness, please obtain the beta client viewtopic.php?f=116&t=51108 and test using it. Since any optimizations/fixes are first tested on there.

Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:45 am

Team: Dark Traders
Main: Max235
Level: 1821
Class: Seer

Post Re: To everyone still feeling client lag/jerkiness
But #2 is more fun!

Anyways, you always do great things, Jey :D

Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:52 am

Team: Aidelon
Main: Yurble
Level: 1967
Class: Engineer

Only time when i have lag, is when i am qautro clienting.
I highly doubt that is the type of lag you mean.

~Lots of love and cookies and blue fur
~Yurbs

Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:31 am
Profile E-mail

Main: enkelin
Level: 3002
Class: Speed Demon

When I run "wine dxdiag.exe" nothing happens... I guess that means DirectX didn't install properly? I followed the guide you suggested but when I try to install DirectX it gives me a bunch of errors. Not sure how to proceed.

(Bluenoser) Put your finger in your mouth and gag reflex should do the rest

Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:15 pm
Dev Team

Team: Eminence Front
Main: Jey123456
Level: 3267
Class: Fleet Commander

not sure either, it should install just fine. Although the dxdiag comment was mostly aimed at windows user, because its easier than asking for their computer spec :P. you can just tell me the specs (and precise that you run it on wine), and its just about the same from my point of view.

Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:50 pm

Main: Threaten
Level: 2853
Class: Shield Monkey

/darkphantom

Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:27 pm