It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:05 pm

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ] 

Team: Eminence Front
Main: Paximaximus
Level: 2572
Class: Engineer

Post Bombers
I was thinking of a alternative ship class for gunners instead of HF and Capital Ships. A bomber would be suited well for the gunner class. These ships would included inbuilt bonuses to missiles and have specific inbuilt items tailored for gunner such as generators or tweaks. As well these ship would have a lower vis because whats a bomber that isn't stealthy. Weapons could included laser designator that would give temporary buffs to missiles or increase vulnerability of target. Feel free to add, this is just a raw idea.

Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:24 pm
Profile E-mail

Team: Dark Traders
Main: Max235
Level: 1821
Class: Seer

Post Re: Bombers
Or just a faster capship with lessor resists to compensate.

Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:41 pm

Well, yes and no. Bombers would come in all different sizes, such as larger with the ability to drop a larger payload and smaller sized which are more nibble stealthy and faster but comes as a sacrifices to payload.

Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:06 pm
Profile E-mail

Missiles already do that, to some degree.

Missiles like AP missiles are still slow and heavy, and tend to hit a bit harder.

Missiles like Kinetic act more like sidewinders.

So in a sense, capital ships.

Capital ships have HUGE potential for both FC and Gunner. Just because most of them are EF Capships doesn't mean that all have to have similar stats.

Currently, the generic capship stats set by AEM are:

2 augs
low-medium weapon slots
good resists
lowish speed
decent hull
some-great shield/energy bonus
usually includes a crit resist bonus

Theres a lot of potential for that set of stats. You "could" have a capship that looks similar to your idea of a "Bomber", without making a whole new hull class. Because capships is enough for gunner; no need to make a specialized hull for it(and every other class).

Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:54 pm

Main: Radia
Level: 1101
Class: Speed Demon

Bombers are pretty much equivalent to heavy fighters. In pretty much every game but SS, I have seen the classes Fighter, Bomber, and Interceptor. Supplement with flagships(capships) and you're done.

Ofc, this ignores freighter, but we can easily separate out any freighter that is designed for combat, because wtf is a combat freighter?

No Context. Ever.
Idaten.

Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:04 am
Profile WWW

Team: Aidelon
Main: Yurble
Level: 1967

Visorak wrote:
Ofc, this ignores freighter, but we can easily separate out any freighter that is designed for combat, because wtf is a combat freighter?

Assault Behe perhaps?

~Lots of love and cookies and blue fur
~Yurbs

Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:21 am
Profile E-mail

As the admins have termed it, anything not a Bulk(+), Bulk II(+), Massif(+), Massif II(+), Dark Freighter(+), Emp Behe, Gelato, Thatch, and Sing Sphere are combat freighter.

This is a freighter, though:

Quote:
A cargo ship or freighter is any sort of ship or vessel that carries cargo, goods, and materials from one port to another.

Really odd that things like Pax and Rhino are freighters too....

Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:43 am

Maybe a Capship with those stats would be a better solution, than creating a whole new class. HF are not like bombers because as I stated before it would have missile boosting stats.

Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:56 am
Profile E-mail

Team: Aidelon
Main: goldstar-stations
Level: 2020

why not instead make a fighter for gunner that fires missiles and makes wide circles of targets? Make it require gunner skills and fill half a slot on the missile bays? You could have slaves launch them which takes advantage of the large missile capacity of capital ship launchers. And if you limit the number you can launch you can directly limit the power so they do not become overly powerful.

example max cap of 2 launched for tier 3 taking up X number of missile slots on the slave/player. but still increasing the number of missiles in space or the rate of fire.

Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:12 pm

Main: Radia
Level: 1101

andezrhode2a wrote:
Maybe a Capship with those stats would be a better solution, than creating a whole new class. HF are not like bombers because as I stated before it would have missile boosting stats.

Your suggestion can be summed up as a class locked gunner HF with special stats. While it sounds cool, I think the suggestion would just make it too complicated.

No Context. Ever.
Idaten.

Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:39 pm
Profile WWW

Team: Bella Morte
Main: Lilith
Level: 840

id like some new capital ships. it would be fun. or something similar to it a ,... side step in the earthforce technology

Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:52 pm
Profile E-mail
Content Dev

A new hull class is unlikely and I'm not sure how the concept of "bombs" could be implemented. I feel like HF or capships with inbuilt missile ops would be close enough to a bomber, but missile stat aug bonuses currently do not exist

Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:27 pm
Profile E-mail

Bombers exist ~ they're a type of fighter, not a player hull type.

(Specifically, they're a fighter that has it's own fighters/missiles)

As to new hull types, this is unlikely unless it's a major content patch (e.g. for all player classes). Jeff is currently wary of hybrid Capital / HF combos, because they're a total nightmare to balance without being class locked.

Max235 wrote:
Really odd that things like Pax and Rhino are freighters too....

The distinction is largely based on the base hull + speed. For example, a Dreadnought (highest Capital ship hull size) is hull 750, while a comparable tier 2 freighter, the Rhino, has 1500.

Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:04 am
Profile E-mail

I guess I made it too complicated... To sum it up I was thinking augs or ships with missile boosting stats or just have missiles be affect by augs such as drones can be affected by some augs.

Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:05 pm
Profile E-mail

Team: Heaven
Main: Cpt Mawson
Level: 1011
Class: Shield Monkey

I think some sort of gunner-locked ship as a slave could be nice, since there's no general option, to have a good gunner with slaves your main option is EFBCs simply because of missiles, weaponry and bonuses.

Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:45 pm
Profile E-mail
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ]