It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:37 am

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 

Team: Traders
Main: Shadowfiend
Level: 1060
Class: Gunner

Post multi OS downloads
SS is a great game, definately worth playing.
one of its biggest drawbacks however would be that it can only be played on windows.
Many of todays online games have multiple installs for operating systems, i think it is time SS had that also.
I do realise that it would be no easy task do do this.
But i think it could ultimately mean more subs if the game can be installed on more than one brand of operating system.

One thing you may suggest is dual booting the mac with windows, well not all mac users can or are willing to do this.

one last thing, Wine is a pain in the freakin ass to use and it mostly doesnt work anyway.

Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:29 am
Profile E-mail

Team: Dark Traders
Main: Max235
Level: 1821
Class: Seer

Post Re: multi OS downloads
Not enough people use Mac/Linux to justify spending time(and money) to make it compatible. For every 1 Mac user, there like 10 Windows players. And for each Linux, it's closer to 100.

Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:33 am

ok

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:59 am
Profile E-mail

Team: The Unforeseen Colonies
Main: Thermal
Level: 3024
Class: Engineer

Nathanpq8 wrote:
Wine is a pain in the freakin ass to use and it mostly doesnt work anyway.

Both me and enkelin can testify on the fact that this is not always the case. I downloaded Winebottler and after installing it, Winebottler basically did everything for me by itself. I play both on Windows and Mac and I prefer playing on Mac actually, even tho I get more crashes there than on Windows, which can be expected.

So without any facts to back you up, please don't say that Wine is a pain in the ass and that it mostly doesn't work. Because that isn't true at all.

Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:51 am

seanla4350 wrote:
Nathanpq8 wrote:
Wine is a pain in the freakin ass to use and it mostly doesnt work anyway.

Both me and enkelin can testify on the fact that this is not always the case. I downloaded Winebottler and after installing it, Winebottler basically did everything for me by itself. I play both on Windows and Mac and I prefer playing on Mac actually, even tho I get more crashes there than on Windows, which can be expected.

So without any facts to back you up, please don't say that Wine is a pain in the ass and that it mostly doesn't work. Because that isn't true at all.

alright it hardly works at all FOR ME. And i like the fact that u proved me wrong with manners
:)

Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:06 am
Profile E-mail

Team: The Forgotten Colonies
Main: PM Me If You Suck
Level: 1996

I've moved completely to mac and no longer use my bootcamp because SS works fine on it. I've used several different programs and ways to run it, including winebottler and crossover. I've found the best way was just by installing the actual wine and then installing SS into your regular games folder (not the c/: programfiles) it makes for you. THIS is the best tutorial to install it, and it even runs through how to create a dock icon. As for Linux, I think this topic talks about it.

Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:23 am
Dev Team

We don't officially support anything other than Windows at this time. At one point we did have a developer working on a OSX port but he went inactive.

Linux support while unofficial is something that Jey always attempts to push for when he's able to. Perhaps we could setup a running on linux guide and potentially link it on the website, I'm not sure.

Thu May 03, 2012 3:26 pm
Profile E-mail
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]